Life is tiring. There’s no getting around it. Life with OCD is EXHAUSTING. It’s so difficult to manage when you constantly feel like your life is hanging by a thread. So I thought I’d list the top five ways I deal with OCD. So that maybe it will help someone else.
1. Remember that OCD is just that, OCD the thoughts you are experiencing are not real situations or true to your identity. They are thoughts, nothing more. Apparently the average person has around 60,000 thoughts a day.
2. Don’t beat yourself up. You are not evil. you don’t deserve to be suffering no matter how many times you try to convince yourself you are.
3. Keep in mind that OCD is a bully. the best way to beat a bully is to not react. If a child was to be told it was something repeatedly, it would believe it was. If you tell a child that it’s stupid, chances are it’s going to think it’s stupid. It’s the same thing with OCD. The trick is to not react. The power will lessen over time.
4. Distractions. Do something you like to do or need to do. Act completely normal. Sometimes when I’m really feeling bad I will FORCE myself to pretend that the thing I’m worrying about was never a worry and continue with my life as normal trusting that it will make sense to me afterwards. Fake it til you make it.
5. Know that you are not alone. That it is a real mental disorder and it affects as many as 12 in every 1000 people. Which might not seem like a lot but there are over 7 billion people in the world. That’s over 500 million. (Note my maths is awful that could be wrong but you get the idea… there’s a lot okay)
Hope you all have an okay week with minimum levels of anxiety ❤️